Followers

Sunday 23 October 2011

HIT AND RUN

Inspired by the movie 'Que la Bete Meure'

 Arriving home in a terrible fright
I struggle out of the car
And into the hall to turn on the light,
Before heading straight to the bar.

Trying to steady my staggering gait
As the room spins over the door.
Next moment I'm in a bewildered state
To find myself sprawled on the floor.

My memory's fighting with the booze
To remember what happened tonight,
When past my window the ambulance crews
Race amid blue flashing light.

My arm is hurting, there's blood on my shirt
And a frightening sense of doom,
When suddenly I know I've hurt
Someone out there in the gloom.

Slowly the pieces fall into place,
I recall the sickening thud
As a young girl's horribly broken face
Bounced from my screen to the mud.

Split second decision - I'd had to escape
As I dreaded what I might see.
Imagine the mess her blood would make
And the effect it could have on me!

So I'd raced off with my foot to the floor,
Praying that no one had seen,
For my misdemeanour I was sure
Would cost me every bean.

But now grave doubts are setting in,
As the fog clears from my brain,
And so I go to the fridge for a tin
To obscure the thoughts again.

But it doesn't work and my flesh starts to creep
As pictures in my mind
Begin to make me shudder and weep.
That child out there could have been mine.

So in a desperate bid to forget,
I go into the lounge
To switch on the TV set,
But catch the end of news round.

They're appealing for witnesses to come and help
With a fatal hit-and-run.
At the sight of her face, I let out a yelp,
Appalled at what I've done.

That beautiful child is no more
And I'm the one to blame.
If only I'd waited, although it's a bore
Until the taxi came.

What must her parents be feeling now?
To imagine, I can't begin.
If only I could tell them how
I'd give all for her place to be in.

And so I decide to give myself up,
But the police have already arrived.
They're giving my car a thorough check-up
And inspecting its caved-in front side.

When I approach they caution me
And I offer my hands to be cuffed.
As they drive me away, through tears I see
The spot where that young life was snuffed.

'Oh God forgive me,' I cry in remorse.
For I can't bear what I've done.
It'll haunt me 'til I die of course
In prison at seventy-one.


7 comments:

  1. You rhyme so effortlessly and your poetry always has such good flow as well as a great story! Amazing stuff It was as though I was watching a movie. Brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Rose! Think I must've been on a roll with this one. It flowed really well - a rarity for me. I often struggle with rhyme. So happy you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful! and makes me feel as though I am distraught and experiencing this myself..piecing it all together...wonderfully written..potent and biting and stings within!
    Very cool this movie inspired it..I have never seen it!
    Yay..thankyou
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Victoria.
    That's how I felt as I watched the movie. It was so disturbing I just had to write about it. Had to get inside the character's head to see how anyone could cope with such a tragedy.
    It was scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brought back memories to me: of a child sliding face down up my bonnet & then falling to the ground. Fortunately I wasn't going fast 10-12 m.p.h and he was only a bit shook up.
    You have handled the subject very sensitively.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mel,
    Hope I haven't evoked too painful memory for you. So glad your experience had a much better outcome than in the movie.
    I'm so grateful nothing like that has ever happened to me. I have no idea how I'd cope.
    Thank you for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)