Followers

Saturday 18 August 2018

THE TROUBLES

Oh go on then - be a sacrifice,
throw your life away on your futile cause!
But first, let the hypocrisy go:
burn your Bible...
Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not kill.
Catholic Angels must be covering their eyes.

Following blindly in Father's footsteps:
ah, such bitter contempt for Protestant mores
and flouting the other Commandments nine -
for what are these
if not deliberate concoctions to keep you subdued?
Oh never underestimate enemy tactics.

Disregard the Holy Days next, and kill the Vicars
in cold blood beside the British soldiers
who came here to steal your territory.
You see only red...
the fury, the blood running in rivers
that carve up the heart of your beloved Belfast.

Blow the pubs to smithereens.
Shoot them all in their own homes.
How does it feel to wield such power -
to be able to choose who lives and who dies?
But what do you think you're teaching your children?
Only yesterday, little Johnny lost a hand while making a bomb.

Now graveyards overflow with the innocent dead
who meant you no harm, only got in the way
of your frenzied fanatical doctrine.
And then distorted perceptions of nationalism
became an obsession that turned within
to create a this vengeful Angel of Death.

In the burning wreck of a fire-bombed car
lurk shocking images of the holocaust.
Oh what's it all for -
this hatred, this bloodshed born of intolerance?
You're human, for God's sake.
We all are.
So let's work together to end these troubles.
It's within our power.

Oh please,  please...? 


Lines written in 1974, after I narrowly escaped being blown to bits in the Guildford pub bombings.

18 comments:

  1. what amazing poem and really true Ygraine! hugs !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you, Gloria...so much!:))

    Lots of Love & Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful writing. Wish something could have been learned by those who caused such horrors.
      A message those manipulated and blinded by the hatred and selfish goals of a few, continue to ignore.
      Scary times then. Scary times now..

      Delete
    2. Absolutely...my wish too, Anthony.
      Yes, definitely scary...in fact, I find today even more scary in some ways. The internet has made planning these atrocities easier...

      Thank you.:))

      Delete
  3. Written from the heart and soul as only you can do, dear Ygraine.
    We as a people were blinded by hate and greed then as we are today. The history is there. Why can't we learn from it before it is to late? Why do we hate easier than we can love.
    As Anthony wrote "Scary times then. Scary times now.."

    Hugs and Love Dearest Ygraine
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, dearest Jan!
      Oh how I wish we could learn to love more and hate less. It seems to me sometimes that people find hating the easiest of the two...almost as if hating is fashionable. Such a tragedy for mankind...:(

      Lots of Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. And these words are as true now as they were then. The location has changed, the issues are as big and as ugly as they ever were.
    A beautiful depiction (and I am so glad you escaped that day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.:)
      Yes, I totally agree...it seems there will never be an end to the world's troubles.
      I often try to miss news programs when I turn on the TV these days...am afraid of what I'll see there and carry around in my head for the rest of the day.

      I do feel incredibly lucky to be alive.
      My boyfriend at the time and I had a row and I stormed out of the pub. He followed. We just turned the corner...and BANG! The entire wall of the pub was blown out. It later transpired that the bomb had been planted under the very seat we'd been sitting in!
      Fate must have been on our side that day!
      Unfortunately though, others weren't so lucky.:((

      Delete
  5. Oh wow Ygraine, I'm so glad you survived, that sounds incredibly scary.

    I'm not an overly religious person but I also don't think most religions can be blamed for their shortcomings but rather the very "human" people who align with them or hide behind them.

    I was raised as a Roman Catholic and I am appalled by the current pope and some of it's wayward priests. But I don't think it's real teachings are all bad or corrupt.

    Hugs to you, my friend, Geraldine😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was scary, Geraldine...as I replied to E.C. above...I am incredibly fortunate to be here today!
      I totally agree with you...no religion can be blamed for these atrocities. It is the fanatics who bend the doctrines for their own ends who are to blame. The Holy Scriptures are sometimes taken so far out of context that they are almost unrecognizable...and it is such a tragedy.

      Thank you so much, my dear Friend!

      Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
    2. Hugs back to you. Wishing you a happy, healthy week.😂

      PS: Your hair looks amazing in your blog photo, like spun silver! Just had to mention that.🌼

      Delete
    3. Wow...you are so kind...my heartfelt thanks!:))

      Wishing you a brilliant week too...

      Much Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Boa tarde, desejo que tudo esteja bem consigo, houve um desencontro entre nós, espero que não volte acontecer para que possamos visitar-nos quando possível, o poema é estrondoso pela positiva.
    Feliz semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...I really appreciate that.☺☺

      A hug.

      Delete
  7. I am so happy you escaped that day!
    This is such a powerful, well written piece!
    I just don't understand? Will this ever stop? It's so scary!
    Big Hugs My Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...my most heartfelt thanks. I truly appreciate your kind words!
      I totally agree...when will it ever end?

      All my love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. … and events like this are still happening around our world.
    Love not hate …
    I am so glad you escaped that day.

    All the best Jan
    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jan...so much!
      Yes, I totally agree...the only thing that can save the human race now...is to relearn to LOVE!!

      Have a fabulous weekend!☺☺

      Hugs

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)