Followers

Saturday 8 September 2018

THE SURFER

The rich glow of sunset rides the restless waves.
He glides high on a crest, sure of his balance
and then soars like a gull. And landing is just as graceful.
He slides into the beach. Soaking, dripping wet.

He tells me it's California next year, as the *Strand
no longer challenges. But he's said it many times before,
always at summer's end when the lengthening nights
begin to deflate him. Touching the deep battle scar
on his thigh: "The Strand can be lethal!"

When he kisses me it's like drowning at sea.
But I find I'm developing gills.
It's daunting though, such fanatical enthusiasm,
and my slightest hesitation infuriates him.
Huge decision. He's asking me to sacrifice so much.
I am no groupie...but those gorgeous golden curls!

I plug in the Beach Boys. He drives the Volkswagen
into the night. The entire Universe is us,
sunshine and surf - and a peculiar kind of togetherness
that depends on lots of time apart and no firm commitments.
Approaching headlights pick out the blonde in his curls

and a picture-perfect bone structure.
Here, is my life.

*Trebarwith Strand, Cornwall, England.

19 comments:

  1. How beautifully romantic, my dear friend.
    To feel this charge of electricity again is now beyond my capabilities. A gentle hug and just a whisper of a kiss fit me now like my comfortable and well worn jeans.

    Big Hugs and Lots of Love My Talented Friend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...you and I both, dearest Jan!😉
      Just as well we still retain the capacity to imagine, eh?
      Trouble is, mine sometimes runs away with me!! Lol
      Thank you my dear friend...so much!😊😊

      Much love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this so much. The unplanned plans of youth so completely based on dreams and going on forever..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely...ah, if only we could revisit those carefree times, even for just an instant...seems to me maturity brings just a touch too much caution!😉
      Thank you so much!😊😊

      Delete
  3. The story was as good as the verse.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Arlee...so much!😊😊

      Delete
  4. Such an evocative piece. I well remember that togetherness which needs time apart and no long term commitments...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smiles* at that time all I longed for was seamless togetherness...now, I often long for solace!😉
      Thank you so much!😊😊

      A hug xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Really enjoyed this Ygraine, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jan...so much!😊😊

      A hug xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Nice one Ygraine.
    I could totally see the characters
    doing those things as I read them.
    And wow! The Beach Boys songs,
    I love them even though they are
    ahead of my time.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Ann...I so appreciate your kind words!😊😊
      Yes, me too...I adore the sound of the Beach Boys!!

      Delete
  7. I love this one Ygraine! So beautifully written! I enjoyed it so much! Thank you my friend! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...my heartfelt thanks!!😊😊
      So happy you enjoyed...

      All my love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. Woo.. hoo...and alrighta!!! I just love this poem.The vibe is spot on. Surf city here we come.

    Well done my friend, one of your best.😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to be young and carefree again, eh?😉
      I wish! Lol
      Oh wow...thank you so much...you have made my day. Truly!😊😊

      Lots of love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Oh thank you, Tanza...I so appreciate that!
    So happy you enjoyed...:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUBLIME POETRY!!!
    dear Ygraine you are remarkable poet and i am lucky to find you !
    you made me float with you within horizons of this not much big universe:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)