Followers

Friday 16 November 2018

ICE GIRL

People out walking in the frost
wrap themselves in coats, scarves, hats, gloves;
believing that without all this paraphernalia
they will freeze to death.
Well, perhaps they're right.
But I walk through it completely unclothed
because I am made of ice. They still tell
of the hoar frost that clung to tree and mountain
at the time my mother expelled me from her body
amid a pool of blood that instantly froze,
and how the midwife had to rub some life
into my tiny pure white body.
I am daughter of the Ice Queen -
born in north Iceland, raised in coldness,
and six month nights were all I understood.
I had to stay one jump ahead of the summer
because I knew it's alien nature would thaw my body
and burn out my pale eyes.
So I hid beneath the snow drifts
like a white vampire.
But it's harder now I've reached womanhood,
as I'm driven to flirt with the sun
and be caressed by his deadly rays
like all the other women I see around me.
He is like no other lover - dangerous
and therefore irresistibly alluring.
What happens when fire and ice combine?
The Aurora Borealis tells my story.
I think I'm inviting chaos. My reflection
is up there in that northern evening sky -
all the colours of coldness, remoteness,
a reminder of what I am...

OK, OK, I'll come clean:
the above is all fantasy, you know!
In truth, I am an ice sculpture that adorns
a corridor in this year's Ice Hotel.
But I so want to be human.
You see, my beauty encloses no Soul.
There is only cold rigidity inside me.
I can only hope that one day global warming
will come and put an end to this half-life:
will reduce me to a pool of water
that cannot think, cannot feel,
and cannot yearn to be loved.


Just to let you know...I have been diagnosed with cancer, so have lots of X Rays, scans etc. coming up before I have surgery. 
I will visit you all as and when I can in between all that is going on...try keeping me away!! ;))

21 comments:

  1. Oh my dearest Ygraine, I am so sorry!!!
    I am speechless. I want to say the right words but I don't know what they are!!!
    I know that you are a fighter and that you will do all that you can possibly do to survive and conquer this horrible disease. I love dear friend ❤❤❤

    This was beautifully written as only you can do.

    Hugs and Much Love ❤💮❤💮❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I would never try to keep you away :)

      Delete
    2. Dearest Jan...how can I ever thank you enough? Your precious friendship and kind words have truly helped me immensely to stay positive. Yes, I will fight!!
      I really hope things are going well with you. It has been a difficult time for you too, I know that. I have been missing you...so good to have you back!!
      Will visit you shortly.😊😊

      All my love and hugs xxx

      Delete
  2. Well, I was reading your poem and enjoying your words, woven as you do so well.

    And then ...

    I came upon your last paragraph.

    I am so sorry. I do not know what cancer it is, but it seems the Doctors are carrying out a lot of tests for you.
    This horrible disease can be beaten, I know many who have … so I send my thoughts, prayers and good wishes to you.

    You have many friends in blogland, who I'm sure will be thinking of you like I am.

    All the best, and lots of healing wishes, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jan...so much.😊😊
      As I just replied to Jan above...I am so deeply moved by the kindness of my blogland friends. I have honestly never known such kindness before, and I can't even begin to find the appropriate words to express my appreciation...my Friend, thank you...from the depths of my heart.
      Oh sorry I forgot to say, it is breast cancer.

      Big Hugs xxx

      Delete
  3. Heartfelt hugs and oceans of caring are flowing your way. Today and every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so kind...thank you...so, so much!
      Gosh, you guys are really making me cry - in the nicest possible way, of course! It has been a true revelation to receive all this wonderful support.😊😊

      Much love and hugs...and deep gratitude xxx

      Delete
  4. Just so you know… The poem was wonderful as usual… Selfishly I want to read more. So please do all you can to take care of yourself to deal with the adventure ahead I wish wasn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed, Anthony...and thank you so much!
      Yes, I am feeling more positive now. At first the news shocked me and I felt a bit hopeless (especially as I lost my beloved father from cancer when I was just 26),
      but now I am in fighting mood and think "bring it on!!"😉

      Delete
  5. Ygraine, your news truly saddens me, but just keep in mind that my heart goes out to you, for I wish nothing to ail you my good friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Friend...my most heartfelt thanks!
      I am going to fight this with every ounce of strength I possess...would miss you all too much!!😊😊

      Delete
  6. My friend, I am so sorry! Sending you BIG HEALING LOVING HUGS!!! You know we all love you and we will keep you in our thoughts!! You keep kicking ass!!
    By the way, I truly love your poem! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...THANK YOU!!
      Those healing hugs are so, so appreciated...as is your precious friendship.😊😊

      Sending you lots and lots of love and hugs back xxx

      Delete
  7. yes, Iceland so cold, but a lot of tourists come in summer.
    btw...your poem is nice message about global warming.

    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pretty cold, I imagine. I would love to visit Iceland someday.
      This poem was inspired by a TV documentary about the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden.
      So happy you enjoyed!😊😊

      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  8. My dear Ygraine Im so sorry you are sick, hope all goes better I will pray for you and send you love and hugs!xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Gloria...my most heartfelt thanks for your kind words of encouragement! It truly means so much to me.😊😊

      Lots of love and hugs xxx

      Delete
  9. oh dear Ygraine my heart felt CRUSHED with sudden news of your illness at the end !

    I am sorry from the bottom of my heart ,but i know that you are very strong and wonderful person and will definitely overcome upon this odd situation with your undefeatable will power!

    My heartiest prayers are with you ,will keep you in my thoughts and prays my friend!
    only need to stay positive and don't let your faith shake all will be good i am sure !
    HUGS and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Baili...my sincerest and most heartfelt thanks for your kind words of comfort and support. This truly means so much to me!
    I do believe that every challenge we face is for a reason, and so I'm not really afraid, but I do now just want to get the operation behind me!
    My faith is still intact, dear Friend. I honestly don't think that will ever diminish.
    Thank you again for your precious friendship and encouragement.😊😊

    Much Love and Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Ygraine, I've been away from the blogs for over a month. I am SO sad to read this. I wish you all the best: doctors, advice, health providers, family and friends....you are a special person. And you are strong. Take care. Lots of hugs and healing energy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)