Followers

Friday 19 April 2019

THE HAUNTING OF OLD STONE MANOR



A tragic shade wanders here in sorrow
through a time turning widdershins.
She seems unaware of my presence as
she haunts these forsaken ruins.

Close by now, how softly she whimpers,
so mournfully it breaks my heart.
As she passes me by with a rustling of silk,
the veil is torn apart.

For almost two centuries she's been trapped here
in shock and disbelief.
The past recorded in old stone walls
is restless as an autumn leaf.

No living Soul has been able to reach her,
although many down the years have tried.
But, just now, as her tortured gaze met mine -
oh such pleading in those soft brown eyes!

On a sleepless night, outside my window
such a pitious wail fills the air.
On the breeze it's carried over rooftop and field
and the startled owls leave their lair.

What can be the source of such pain and when will
the strands of her story knit up
in my consciousness so I can offer relief?
Oh please let it be by sun-up.

I ask, I make my own vague assumptions,
yet the sad truth's been here all along.
It's a case of learning to read the stones
and feeling their ancient song:

of forming pictures through sensitive hands -
a neural pathways' breech,
in order to map out another's life
that time's rendered out of reach.

Flash of cognition: two young Victorians
and a love that flouts class divide.
An incensed father, mortified and enraged
at the disgrace to his family pride.

He's discovered them together beside woodland pond
and had the young servant beaten
then unceremoniously thrown off his land
to lie bleeding and mentally browbeaten.

His daughter's protests are the final straw -
it pushes him over the edge.
In a terrible fury and overcome with shame -
village gossip is the worst sacrilege -

he drags her screaming to the water's edge
and hastily pushes her in,
then holds her beneath the cold water 'til
all struggling ceases within.

Then stark realisation of what he's done:
a bitter remorse grips his mind
and the ghastly vision of hangman's noose
brings a terror undefined.

So later that night beneath moonless sky,
he retrieves her lifeless form
and smuggles it home then torches the house,
attempting to the law misinform.

Well, to cut a potentially long story short,
I'm sure you can guess the rest.
It wasn't the father who hung by the neck,
but the poor lover though he tried to protest.

Oh I hope that now the truth is out
this sad little ghost will be laid.
Yet, within these ruins on this warm spring eve
still a chill the air seems to pervade...


25 comments:

  1. A tragic ghost story that had me reading each line with tears in my heart and knowing that the end would not be a beauteous spell but tragic and sorrowful...filled with hate. Instead of a bride's shimmering veil she wanders through lonely days and nights searching for her lost love.
    Maybe on one of these walks she might finally meet her true love again and they will live "happily ever after" in the twilight world~

    Beautiful and tragic at the same time. You are an amazing writer, my sweet friend.

    Much Love Always
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dearest Jan, my most heartfelt thanks!
    You know, what makes this tale so sad, is that it is based on a true story.
    When I stayed on the farm (which encompasses the ruined manor), I walked around the ruin and soaked up the atmosphere. It feels really strange...oh how I wish you and I could go there together, for I know you'd feel it as I do.

    Oh Jan, you are always, always in my heart and my thoughts. Take heart, my lovely Friend...you are never truly alone.😊😊

    All my love and hugs...always ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say how stunning that window is.
      How I love the Gothic beauty of it with the vines ands plant growth!

      Hugs and My Love Sister Ghost Lover
      xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

      Delete
    2. I love that window too, dearest Jan!
      There is so little remaining of the burnt out ruin, that it was difficult to find anything that would show up in a photo...just this beautiful window!

      Much love and hugs back, my beautiful sister in Spirit!!
      ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful place to be haunted by remembered pain and injustice.
    Love your poem and am sure that restless spirit sent out a soul call to you, to have her story heard, remembered and recorded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered this story being featured on a TV series back in the 1980's, so when I stayed on the farm, I wandered around the ruins and soaked up the atmosphere. It was amazing!
      The stories are a bit ambiguous though...another version is that the Lord of the Manor murdered his wife after he discovered she was having an affair.
      Which is the truth...who knows!
      Thank you, Sue...so much!😊😊

      Much love and hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow. I am at a loss for words. What an awesome poem. You have such an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so kind...thank you so much, Mary!!😊😊

      Big Hugs xxx

      Delete
  5. This is an amazing read. I feel like it must be true in a way and you are the one who can feel her presence and her story. Wow. Really beautiful writing and solemn feelings come up for that woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy...and really happy you enjoyed!!😊😊

      Big Hugs xxx

      Delete
  6. oh dear you are so gifted

    you have power to cast spell over senses and made me feel there to witness all the terror helplessly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

    i am not aware with the actual story ,though hoping if google can help

    watched Suzzanna buried alive on netflix few days back and now this captivating poem ,i hope i will not get nightmares

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Baili...my heartfelt thanks!!
      I did try Googling it, but couldn't find anything about it...only adverts for holidays on the farm.
      But it was featured on a TV program here back in the 1980's. I think it was called "Murder Most Foul" (not to be confused with the old movie of the same name!).
      Oh I do hope you didn't have nightmares!!😉

      Lots of love and hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful storied poem. Brilliant… So well told. Such a sad love story. I will remember for a very long time..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, kind of haunted me too...whatever the true story!
    So glad you enjoyed, Anthony...and thank you so much!😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. The window in the picture is lovely.
    Your words are both beautiful, but again so tragic.
    It was interesting to read the further information you gave to EC (Sue).

    Happy Easter Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, gorgeous window, isn't it? I would love to see the building as it was, the few remains are just ivy covered fragments and a clock tower. It is such an atmospheric place.
      Thank you so much!😊😊

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  10. My mind's eye created such vivid images as I read. This is just the sort of thing I enjoy reading during the autumn and winter months, beside a crackling fire with a warm cuppa in hand. I'm bookmarking it to revisit again in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much...and really happy you enjoyed!😊😊

      Delete
  11. Ygraine, your poem is so brilliantly written, and I love your photo that goes with!

    I wish you much peace and happiness, and hope all is well,

    Lon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. So good to have you back, Lon...I was so sad to find your blog closed!
      Thank you so much for your kind thoughts...truly means the world to me!😊😊

      Delete
  12. You can build such a mood with your words, I love it!☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Natalia...I really appreciate that!😊😊

      Delete
  13. Standing up applauding you Ygraine! WOW! What an emotional, heartfelt, tragic story! You should seriously put your writings in a book! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh WOW...you are SO kind, Sweetie...my most heartfelt thanks!!😊😊

    All my love and hugs ❤❤❤ Always!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)