Followers

Saturday 2 November 2013

HERNE THE HUNTER




Nightfall at Windsor Great Park.
Faint echo of a hunting horn
announces the blurring of time...


Phantom-like he appears
out of brushwood and frosted ferns
and all wildlife in the slumbering forest
shake the sleep from their heads - then freeze
in deference to the Master's approach.

An owl hoots in response to his presence.
Then, unseen, it takes to the air,
as animals of every kind
come creeping through the undergrowth
to line His path back home.

This avenue of knowing eyes
observe His metamorphosis:
watch antlers sprout from skull of man
and from within Him Odin rise
to head the Wild Hunt.

Without a sound, they thunder through
the depths of ancient forest
seeking once more that Golden Age
when the Gods of yesterday held sway
and the One was as yet unconceived.

17 comments:

  1. Oh this one had a beautiful eeriness to it. Very apropos for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith!
      I love being in the forest at this time of year...it is so atmospheric...:)

      Delete
  2. wow...how vivid the birthing...the animal bursting forth..and the return to a time when gods roamed our world....that excites me quite honestly...smiles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to have the ability to return to those times...if even for a moment!
      That would be wonderful.
      Many thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Gloria.
      I really appreciate that.:)

      Delete
  4. Magnicient, magickal, powerful, I got shivers, at first I thought it was the call of all animals when a threat occurs which I believe does happen but no no threats, just magic, I love this, has to be my favourite, wow Ygraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the way Herne was portrayed in the HTV series, "Robin of Sherwood", that is exactly how I always saw him in my mind's eye.
      Finally got around to writing about him - not that I did him any justice, but hey, just had to try!
      Thank you so much, Lorraine. Your words mean so much:)

      Delete
  5. Ygraine,
    This is so good.
    You write so wonderfully.

    Happy day to you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Margie...thank you. So much!
      You have a great Monday too. xxx

      Delete
  6. Aw this brings back memories. Loved the words..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Anthony.
    Really happy you liked it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha you should try it...i just googlism-ed your first name...its fun & interesting...ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK...you've tempted me!
      Will give it a go :)

      Delete
  9. Mythical. Both the poem and the atmosphere. Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like the wind. So many miss this. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)