Followers

Friday 13 July 2018

GUINEVERE


A Villanelle..

Guinevere are you for real, or just pure invention?
For time obscures origin and poets embellish lore,
so now we cannot know the truth of your ascension.

Were you Camelot's bone of contention
in those bygone days of yore,
when along with dashing Lancelot you divided Arthur's nation?

Fairest face and golden hair made you centre of attention -
and lifelong obsession of Cornwall's noble Boar.
But still we do not know the truth of your ascension.

Draco Standard flying in great ostentation,
while many secretly denounced you as whore.
Guinevere are you for real, or just pure invention?

Loud the clash of steel at Camlan's invasion.
Your infidelity sparked that fateful bloody war.
Yet still we do not know the truth of your ascension.

Do historians labour under misapprehension,
or did passion destabilize Camelot's core?
Guinevere are you for real, or just pure invention?
For we'll probably never know the truth of your ascension.

12 comments:

  1. My dear and sweet friend...your magick use of the written word brings Guinevere's ghost alive and well to me. Real or unreal she lives and survives to this day because of talented writers like yourself.
    Beautiful words from a beautiful writer~

    Hugs and Much Love
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, that is so kind, dearest Jan!
      My sincerest, most heartfelt thanks...😊😊

      All my love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Absolutely lovely dear Ygraine !! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so happy you enjoyed...and thank you so, so much!!😊😊

      Big hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. And beautiful. Perhaps more beautiful that the lady herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW...that truly means so much to me!
      Thank you...so much.😊😊

      Delete
  4. Welcome back from Cornwall …

    Loved reading your poem …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan!
      Yes, was a great break.🙂
      I am so glad you enjoyed...

      A Hug!

      Delete
  5. Of course I once believed every version told of this story.
    Wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Anthony...only now I have read so many contradictory versions that I am totally confused! Lol
      Thank you so much...😊😊

      Delete
  6. Great to hear from you my friend!
    This is so beautiful!! I love the mystery of it!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...thank you...your kind words truly touch my heart!!😊😊

      Lots of love xoxoxo

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)