Followers

Thursday 14 June 2018

TOP WITHINS



Absence has not erased
the rugged beauty of brooding moorland.
But what else did I expect?

Thirty years between myself and the summit
has intensified obsession, yet eroded boundary walls
and doubled the height of the tree

that now casts a much broader shadow
over imagination's idyll. House walls are crumbling away.
It's no longer as the Earnshaws knew it,

is even more inimical now. The old farmhouse 
in which we once took refuge has fallen victim
to vandals' idle hands

and the Elements' tumultuous battering.
The cries of skylarks seem fainter
than I remember, like an old recording

time-worn and gradually fading into silence.
Buzzards circle prey beneath the summer sky,
and isolation closes in.

Unless a dedicated Bronte fanatic,
you would never venture this far into wilderness
in search of the myth,

nor curse Emily for your aching legs
and the sombre emptiness that envelopes you
with a churlish welcome

that needs no spoken word or printed page
but, instead, appears to issue
straight from Heathcliff's tormented Soul...




I am heading out into the Cornish wilderness tomorrow, so will be taking a few weeks off (as I know from experience that internet connection there is patchy at best)!
So, have a great time until I "see" you all again...:))


18 comments:

  1. I am sure the Brontes would love your poem. As I do.
    Have a wonderful, wonderful time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so, so much!
      Yes, we had a fabulous time - and we were lucky with the weather for once! lol

      Delete
  2. The images of what has become of what was so vivid from the past, with your words bring the story back like I just finished reading it again.
    Enjoyed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about this novel?
      I have read it at least a dozen times and probably will a dozen more!
      So happy you enjoyed...and thank you so much! :))

      Delete
  3. Lovely poem.
    Enjoy your time away - see you when you get back.
    Safe travels.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jan...so much!
      We had a really enjoyable time...except that it was over all-too-soon!

      A Hug!

      Delete
  4. I hope you have a lovely time. I loved Cornwall when I visited. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My spiritual home, CiL...such a stunning part of the country, isn't it?
      Thank you so much.:))

      Delete
  5. Unos bonitos versos, muy en consonancia con las imágenes.
    A disfrutar de esas vacaciones, que seguro que merecidas las tienes.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Manuel...I so appreciate that!
      And really happy you enjoyed...:))

      A Hug.

      Delete
  6. You write your heart when you create your beautiful poetry and thoughts.Beautiful~

    Have a nice time away my dear friend~

    Hugs and Love
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jan, thank you so much!:))
      I have returned home now...to a thunderstorm! lol

      All my Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. Have a great time my friend! You will be missed!
    You write so beautifully! I love your words!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...so happy you enjoyed!:)
      Been missing you too - and your beautiful art!!
      My heart-felt thanks...:))

      Much Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. You are so creative. You wrote this beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you are so kind, Nas...my deepest appreciation.
      Thank you.:))

      Delete
  9. Oh, lucky you!!! What a great place to spend a summer. I hope it is all going well.

    You will be missed Ygraine. Hugs to you and see you in the fall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess I am lucky to have the time to spend travelling around the country.
      My studies go with me, so I don't have to be stuck in the middle of town all year (think I'd go insane if I had to do that! lol).
      Home now for a couple of weeks, then off to the New Forest...:))
      Thank you, my dear friend!

      Big Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)