Followers

Friday 1 December 2017

INCOMPETENCY

I sometimes churn out utter tosh -
meaningless, not deep; sprawling, not neat.
But, occasionally, I re-read it through and discover
an atom of Soul expression embedded
within these incompetent words, then I know
it's worth all the extra hard graft and frustration.

When people ask my why, I reply
"Why are Nuns drawn to the Convent?"
Theirs is a calling, so is mine:
a perception of something most profound
that demands from me utter devotion.

So I take out another sheet of paper
and dream myself into it's fabric.
Studying it's subtly mottled whiteness,
it begins to speak to me of a tree
whose noble sacrifice enables my craft.

And this sacrifice is preying upon my mind,
honing in like the sight on a gun.
And I cannot stop it - the strange conviction
of guilt that is powerfully compelling me
to record the feeling - and express it right!

Now the tree is embracing me in tender green
as if in forgiveness for the pain I've inflicted.
And I've become one with her rising sap,
her deep roots, her joy of living -
until all is cut short by the brutal felling.
And I'm moved to tears by this sheet of paper
and my wretched inability to find the words...




15 comments:

  1. Wonderful writing. Almost had me inspired to get back to work on long held goals. Almost☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha...seems I must try harder then! lol
      Many thanks, Anthony.:))

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed reading this, you have a wonderful gift ...
    My good wishes for the new month of December.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan!

      Wishing you all the best for December too...gosh, another year almost gone! :/

      Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. wow, no words - you have a deep talent for relating to nature and life.well i guess i did have a few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And so gratefully received those "few" words are, Sandy!
      Thank you so much...:))

      Delete
  4. Oh, you find the words Y'graine, you find the words...😊

    There is something about putting pen to paper as opposed to typing, isn't there? I felt that come through your words here too. When I write haiku, it is always in writing first, in a beautiful journal.

    Keep writing, keep creating, keep sharing...that's what you are meant to do.

    Hugs my friend, 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Geraldine...thank you so much!
      I can't even begin to express how inspired I am by your kind, encouraging comments.
      Without them, I probably would have given up long ago.
      So, thank you again...:))

      Much Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Sublime and touched my soul with the description of great measures dear Ygraine!

    sacrifice is motive of a tree and it has amazing message for us to see and observe .
    you desperation for devotion and submission is inspirational

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, dearest Baili...I so appreciate such kind words of encouragement.:))

      Big Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Very powerful! Touched my soul! Hope you are well my friend! Big Hugs and Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...my heart-felt thanks!:))

      Lots of Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. A calling, indeed. I feel it in what I remember of other lines and lives. Dylan Thomas, "In my craft and sullen art (let me remember, it's been so long) exercised in the still night while the moon rages and lovers lie abed, I labor by singing light...and ask no price or wages for this, my craft and art." You can get the correct quote from the poem but this was from my memory and perhaps good enough. With all my inaccuracies, I will try to remember your poem too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, much more than good enough...how I wish my memory equaled yours...:/
      It is strange that you should choose this quote though...because I find it easier to write in the dead of night too. I'm not sure why, but maybe the absence of distractions...?
      And that you would want to try to remember my humble poem...I am so deeply touched...:))

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much...and so great to hear from you! :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)