Followers

Saturday 13 April 2019

MERLIN'S APPRENTICE


I trudged through the mud - the clinging mud,
the sloppy and heavy dung-coloured mess.
Plodding along the well worn path,
the terrain anomalous yet familiar;
a path back to antiquity
and the Prophet's youth -
during the mildest and wettest March on record:
a two mile trek through utter quagmire.

I came to the Hermit's Cell
in the heavily wooded twilight.
Just enough filtered light
to make out the doorway, to enter
and experience the atmosphere.
I touched the crumbling stone walls.
They felt strangely warm beneath their covering of moss.
They exuded the mustiness
of the era I sought. This place was
secluded, alive with the very essence of my past and future
spiritual heritage - the inner Sisterhood:
old, earthy, Elemental Beings in flowing
hooded robes, with bright all-seeing eyes.

I sat on a fallen corner stone
and took out my flask, my sandwiches.
But I couldn't eat or drink - it felt too sacrilegious.
I was here for a much more profound reason than to picnic -
my re-dedication to the Path.
I took out my Runes
and laid out seven of them chosen at random on a stone.
But I couldn't interpret their message. Concentration
deserted me amid that rustling dead bracken,
where the cold wind chilled me to the bone.

So I wandered through the ruin. Did He know, I wonder,
how intently I listened to His absence -
this ghostly intruder with her unorthodox notions,
beside the bat-infested fireplace, in a sudden downpour?
So precise and prophetic an omen that it gave her goosebumps.
The tiny annex, His study room,
with it's fallen-in window and sound of the waterfall,
and the sheer drop beneath that He loved to explore,
and the river in the valley below where He once tickled trout.
All had been patiently awaiting my arrival. I could feel it.
And the broken steps leading down
to a cavern of Dark Age echoes
I'd inadvertently stirred up by my presence.
Listening there, at the bottom of the steps,
to the gentle murmuring of the wind
was like listening to the wild utterances of Merlin himself
during His maddest and most prophetic phase.

This ruinous monument, all the more precious to me
for His formative years spent there in embryonic omnipotence,
imbued me with a mental clarity
immutable as a history set in stone.
I was reborn in that February sunset.
And, shuttered by skeletal boughs,
the fallen stones emitted an eerie glow -
as if the sun had set there, inside the cavern.

I devoured the experience as I began to retrace my steps
(dreading the lethal mud in darkness).
I peered into the gloom as if into the past:
into His world, protected and magical,
of which (although totally ignorant of it at the time)
I had eternally been a part.

29 comments:

  1. How beautiful!
    Magic choice of words, everything so harmoniously tangled...
    I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed, Ana...and thank you so much!😊😊

      Hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that was amazing. I actually felt like I was there. Thank so much for sharing this. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, my sincerest thanks, Mary...I so appreciate that!😊😊
    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    Hugs ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is heaven on Earth if we choose to search for it. "Wooded twilight" how beautiful and magical it is.
    How beautiful and magical you are.
    Beautifully written by a talented writer who writes from her soul.

    All My Love Dear Friend.
    Hope you are well❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jan...oh how precious a friend you are!
      Without your loving encouragement, I would be lost...oh thank you...from the depths of my heart!!😊😊
      I do so hope all is well with you...and I am missing your beautiful blog dreadfully. Oh please come back?
      Blogland feels empty without you...😞

      All my love and hugs ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
    2. I am trying one last time, my dearest friend. I do love to share but I just feel lost since my sister passed away.
      Thank you so much for caring about me when you have enough on your mind as it is.
      I will try very hard to be stronger than I have been.

      All My Love to You Dear Friend ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
    3. I do understand how hard things are for you, really I do, dearest Jan...and my heart goes out to you, each and every day. I only wish, with all my heart, that I lived closer to you and so could be more supportive.
      As it is..all I can do is try with all my might to send my love and deep friendship...you are so very precious to me. xxx

      Delete
  5. Lyrical and truly lovely. As so many of your poems are. Mega thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My most heartfelt thanks, dear Sue...I truly appreciate your kind encouragement!!!😊😊
      It is so good to have you back...you were sorely missed.

      Lots of love and hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  6. Such a wonderful descriptions. I felt like I was there too, exploring the famous mysterious world of the legendary character. So enjoyed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really happy you enjoyed, Anthony...and many thanks!😊😊

      Delete
  7. Your writing is amazing and descriptive and could almost feel myself there. I followed the link and enjoyed reading the info. What a place to visit - i would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy...and I'm really glad you enjoyed the link!
      The Glen is one of my favourite places to visit...it is truly magical!😊😊

      Big Hugs xxx

      Delete
  8. A lovely post, your writing and descriptions are excellent, they draw you in and I really felt as if I was there.

    Many thanks for the link too.

    Sending my good wishes and continued healing thoughts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW...thank you so much, Jan!
      I am really glad you enjoyed the poem and the link.
      It is such a wonderful place, well worth a visit!😊😊

      A Hug xxx

      Delete
  9. PS I love the picture you've used for the poem too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was taken at the bottom of the waterfall, a beautiful and tranquil place!

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  10. oh dear Ygraine you are such a beautiful magician !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    you took me to the world of fantasy with your magical words and mesmerizing expressions !

    AMAZINGLY SKILLED LADY YOU ARE MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

    you have magnificent skills that i found rare !

    spell caster indeed!

    i must watch the series

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Baili...oh thank you for such kind thoughts...and I am SO happy you enjoyed!!!😊😊
    Wishing you a truly magical day, my dear friend, and that you are feeling a lot better.

    Lots of love and hugs ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your thoughts, it is so well written and the picture is also stunning ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...thank you, Natalia...so much!
      I really appreciate that.😊😊

      Delete
  13. beautiful and magic like always Ygraine, hugs and love for you!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you so much, Gloria...I am so happy you enjoyed!😊😊

      Lots of love and hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  14. Like a spider's web your words are beautifully webbed together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...what a beautiful thing to say, Lon!
      Thank you so much!!😊😊

      Delete
  15. Truly, truly amazing!! Thank you for sharing your gift with us!!! You are amazing Ygraine! I love the photo too! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Sweetie, thank you...so, so much!!

    Loads of love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)