Followers

Thursday 23 July 2020

GOTH

For Tatania...

Black was your colour.
If not black, then indigo. But black
expressed who you were.
Midnight black. Was it night?
Was it the black of Dracula's cloak?
Black for invisibility in the dark.
Oh yes, how that appealed
to your need for anonymity.

When you had begged and cajoled enough,
our shared apartment was all black. A tomb,
disconcerting at night. The jet-black carpet
with it's fluffy pile and inky depths,
and the curtains - a raven velvet darkness -
sheer nothingness, falling from ceiling to floor.
Pillows and duvets the same. Same
black velvet even tacked to the ceiling.
A sombre tomb. A church crypt - Transylvanian?

Only your face escaped into whiteness.

And outside the window
a passing funeral possession,
a surreal and gloomy scene.
Your eyes glistened - you seemed to revel in misery,
like the Grim Reaper on his rounds. And you adored
black tulips, because they reminded you
of the dark night of the Soul.
Claustrophobia, morbidity, you were
spiritually buried alive.

Floor-length leather coat: a swathe of darkness,
a black shroud.
Your lips and eyes were coal black too.
You delighted in black.
It felt safe, protective, like
being back in the darkness of the womb.
It suited your wounded Soul.

Your every word sounded mysterious,
your East European accent hypnotic.
You'd whisper in my ear, dripping black,
weeping black crucifixes - at least a dozen of them -
and then, sometimes, a silver skull among them.

White would have suited you better. White is healing.
White could have illuminated the tomb
where you'd interred your heart
away from all possibility of further damage.
But white had become your Nemesis,
the demon you'd buried inside you.

In your pit of black you felt safe
from all things white...

like the Albino
                      who once broke your heart.

27 comments:

  1. The act of paying homage is beautiful. In addition to these beautiful words that arise from your inspiration, you could only give us, in the end, the beauty of the text, all in black and white and with great affection.
    Lots of kisses for you, my sweet Ygraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Doug...so much!😊😊

      Hope you are having a fabulous Sunday...

      Many Kisses xxx

      Delete
  2. Fabulous!! A wonderful portrayal of how far we could go in the search, if not for the more powerful need of light☺ So enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm really happy you liked it, Anthony...and my heartfelt thanks!😊😊

      Delete
  3. A black and white poem that I really liked. Excellent.
    Although I don't like goths ... but only because I never really understood their philosophy of life.
    Good weekend, dear friend Ygraine.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel rather intimidated by Goths (because, like you, I didn't understand them). Now, I am just fascinated by the clothes they wear. I would love to dress that way, maybe for a party!😉
      Thank you so much, my friend...and I'm really glad you enjoyed...

      Wishing you a great weekend too!😊😊

      Kisses xxx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, to be locked up in this self-imposed prison...such a tragic waste of a life.🙁
      However, she did eventually pass on from that phase of her life.😊😊
      Thank you ❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  5. Black and white
    the first gives you fright
    the second - light
    but both are all right.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fabulous little poem, Amalia...I love it!😊😊
      Thank you so much!

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  6. Wow, this amazingly beautiful piece of poetry by you, Ygraine!.
    The frame of life is clearly told here.

    Have a nice week 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am really touched by your kind words, Himawan...thank you...so, so much!😊😊

      Wishing you a great week too...and much happiness.👍👍

      Delete
  7. really beautiful !

    x Natalie
    Lucy and the Runaways - Blog and Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Natalie...my heartfelt thanks!😊😊

      Big Hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  8. Brava! Your poem is moving and well-composed, Ygraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Geo...I truly appreciate that!😊😊
      Do hope all is good with you.

      Stay safe and happy 👍👍

      Delete
  9. Hello Ygraine,
    I always enjoy my visits to your blog.
    You are a talented writer and offer all who visit your blog some wonderful words and poems.
    Today's did not disappoint.
    Thank you.

    Wishing you a good week ahead, I just can't believe we are entering the last week of July. Where do the days go?

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank you...so, so much!😊😊

    I know...I was just thinking the same thing. Where HAS this year gone??

    Have a great afternoon.

    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. black and white world gives color that is not color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true!
      Many thanks, my friend 🙏🙏

      Delete
  12. I guess it was a subconscious attempt to understand a cult that I knew absolutely nothing of, Yannis...I had no idea where it was going, even as I was writing it...until I reached it's end! It seemed to belong to no fixed category, so I just allowed the words to flow!
    Many thanks, my friend!😊😊

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really amazing Ygraine, send you hugs and love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much... I'm really happy you enjoyed!!😊😊

      Sending much love and hugs back xxx

      Delete
  14. I swear you were there writing while witnessing all this. whew!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)