Followers

Friday 14 August 2020

MORGANA

Morgana, my Muse, what ill-conceived
petulant or thoughtless act -
what secret of sorcery did you keep
from the Priest at my christening, that
was a blatant act of blasphemy,
when the Holy Water on my brow
burned and sizzled into vapour,
while all those present gasped?

Morgana, who intrigued me with stories
of Avalon - that legendary Otherworld
peopled with Priestesses, Sirens and other
disquieting beings. I wondered if they were your sisters,
whether it was you who'd invoked
those pale-robed hooded women
who nightly circled my girlhood bed
while chanting in an unfamiliar tongue.

In that harsh winter, when the snow
fell three feet deep and broke all records
and my Father had to dig us out, you lit
a candle and called upon Ariadne.*
After that all hell broke loose:
the spiders awoke from their hibernation
and prowled the dark recesses of our house.
Terrified, I was convinced they had come for my Soul.

Once, beneath a Midsummer full moon
I glimpsed you dancing, white-robed, in the garden
while humming to yourself a haunting tune.
I was mesmerized, transfixed in my window.
You resembled a Goddess, I thought,
all ethereal in the silvery moonlight
as you spiralled faster and faster, leaving me breathless.
Then a cloud obscured the moon and you vanished.

I remember holidaying once in North Wales,
when you presented me with a map of the region
and pointed out to me all the lakes and springs.
Well, you spent the entire week dragging me
across the breadth of Snowdonia: hours and hours
over rough and dangerous terrain - but for what?
It's vital that you learn from the land, you said,
Her savage nature is mirrored within you.

One morning at three o'clock I saw you, Morgana,
standing before me at the foot of a moonbeam,
in a pool of white light that filled my room
with a million sparkles of Angel dust
that I just knew couldn't possibly be earthly.
And yet, they collected like snowflakes
in my hair, on my pyjamas and my quilt. Reach out!
It was then that I realised I was more than just flesh and blood.

Every moment now, wherever I go
they shadow me - Seven of the Avalonian Nine,
their faces obscured within oversized hoods,
with robes shimmering from a setting sun
that never goes down nor rolls into dawn.
For this is the timeless realm you initiated me into:
like Priestess, the Neophyte - my destiny
is to uphold the Traditions of Avalon.


* Ariadne is the Druidic Weaver Goddess.



29 comments:

  1. Oh how I love this one. Ever since I read the complete set of books about Avalon I have been infatuated with it. This poem speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so happy you enjoyed, Mary...and thank you so much!😊😊

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful.. What a story. Will have to do some searching. Myths and legends waiting to be discovered in my lacking education. So enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things Arthurian and Avalonian have always been a passion of mine!Just had to get this posted before I go into hospital...just in case the covid strikes me there! πŸ˜‰
      So very happy you enjoyed...and my heartfelt thanks!😊😊

      Delete
    2. Will be hoping that all goes well. Take care as much as possible, be safe.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Oh thank you so much, Anthony...I really do appreciate that!😊😊
      Sorry about the deleted comment...my tablet was doing it's own thing again! Lol

      Delete
  3. Maidens and witches
    Mystical vibrations
    Reality, drama
    Unreality in dim realms of wandering dreams
    Kings and Queens
    Wish-makers
    Castles
    Power
    Gold and jewel treasures...
    Not so unlike today's modern take on life
    But so much more romantic within Morgana's dream world realmπŸ‘‘

    Fantastic my beautiful and displaced soul sister. This is who you are. This is where you come from. It was not only written from your heart but also from your soul.
    Love It!!!
    Big Hugs and Much Love πŸ‘‘❤πŸ‘‘❤πŸ‘‘❤πŸ‘‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, your beautiful and soulful poem by far outshines my simple offering, dearest Jan...this is wonderful, inspiring, and magical!!😊😊
      Oh how kind you are, dear Soul Sister...and thank you...from the depths of my heart!!

      All my love and hugs, always ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  4. And what a destiny - for those who listen, for those who hear.
    Huge thanks Ygraine, I love this and it is humming quietly through my veins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sue...I really, really appreciate that!😊😊
      I am such a huge fan of the Arthurian Mysteries, and Morgana is the most fascinating and ambiguous of them all!πŸ˜‰
      I had great fun writing it!

      Lots of love and hugs ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  5. Wow!
    This was such a wonderful read, thank you.

    Reading through some older comments and replies, I hope you that you travelled back from Cornwall safely, there has certainly been heavy storms and flooding in parts. It sounds as if your son had a lucky escape from the storms too.

    May your hospital appointment go well.
    Keep well and safe and keep wearing your mask!

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Jan...I certainly had a lot of fun writing it!😊😊 Many, many thanks!
      We are travelling home tomorrow, so I am hoping for some reasonable weather.
      We almost returned home early when Ayrton had the work incident, but he told us to complete our holiday. Apparently, the building is undergoing repairs and should be ready to reopen on Thursday. However, now there has been a break in. I can scarcely believe it...people can be so heartless.πŸ™
      I do hope you were ok, and hopefully avoided the worst of the storms?
      I really appreciate your kind wishes...thank you so much!😊😊
      My mask has just about become a part of me now!! Lol

      Please do stay safe too...and have a great day!

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  6. I like myths, legends and things like that, so I love this one! Full of magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Natalia...I am something of a fanatic!πŸ˜‰
      I am so happy you enjoyed...and thank you so much!😊😊

      Have a great day!

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  7. An amazingly beautiful and memorable story, YGraine. What an interesting story Avalon is.

    Have a nice weekend and stay safe πŸ™‚πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, thank you, Himawan...so much!😊😊
      I am really happy you enjoyed.

      Please stay safe and happy, my friend πŸ™πŸ™

      I will catch up with you again after my hospital visit.😊😊

      Delete
  8. For me, she has the face of Helen Mirren in her prime and is evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that is the version most people can relate too. However, if you seek out the much older myths, you'll find her original character is more the High Priestess of Avalon. In my poem, I attempted to weave both versions into a kind of modern hybrid. Not sure if it worked or not, but I had a lot of fun with it!😊😊
      Many thanks.

      Delete
    2. Making her a high priestess of Avalon is actually a modern invention of neo pagans. We know fairly little of earlier myths, given the etymology of her name,which is masculine, Morgana might actually have been a man.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. As, indeed, Merlin may well have been female! Any oral tradition that stretches that far back into antiquity will always become somewhat ambiguous, as each new generation of Pagans will inevitably add their own interpretations. That is precisely why I find the subject so fascinating. If a tradition remained unchallenged and unchanged, then it would stagnate.

      Delete
    5. The difference is that Morgan is a masculine name to begin with. Merlin I don't think there's any evidence of a female origin or connection. But Merlin in the early incarnations was very different than the old wizard he became more a child prophet.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful. How are you doing my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn!! you write amazing! wow. If you wrote a series of books about Avalon I would read them. I actually don't know much about these legends but your writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully written my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I confess that I am not at all "inside" the stories of Avalon. Not even Morgana.
    In any case, your poem is poetically very well constructed and tells an interesting story. And for this reason, I really liked your excellent poem.
    Have a nice weekend, dear friend Ygraine.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the way you interwove all these different stories. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am always amazed by your gift dear Ygraine

    how effortlessly you deal with each topic and and how exquisitely ,this is astonishing for me

    tons of healing energy and best wishes sending to yuo my precious friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)