Followers

Friday 18 May 2018

FROG DROPPED BY A HAWK

On R.V. roof with sun and rain
worked into the dulling aluminium,
a black frog lay in the groove

motionless as a rubber toy; deceased
and stiff as wood, one leg
broken and half missing. Remaining

tiny toes tear-jerking somehow.
Into my heart I took him.
His little sunken eyes

no longer moist and darting
absorbed instead of reflecting light;
a piece of paper I burnt once

looked a lot like that.
Pollen dulled his back to ochre
the way mold encrusts a stale cheese.

Yet his belly retained it's luminosity
away from U.V. rays;
the life once dwelling there

in each silvery body scale: like
candle flame observed through a moonstone.
And I saw thread-like rents there

in the swollen dark bruise
where beak or talon had sliced
painfully into tender flesh.

So sad. It hurt to look.
Slaughtered for what? Not even
sustenance for the marauding hawk.

21 comments:

  1. Nature can be so cruel and unfair...but so goes life and death's release from this cruelty.
    You, my dear Ygraine, write with such feeling that I, too, ached for the senseless death of that little frog 🐸

    Hugs and Love 💮❤💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jan...oh how kind and compassionate you are...and these words have truly touched my Soul!😊😊
      Oh thank you...so so much!!

      All my love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Amazing creative observations… Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing creative observations… Love it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anthony...and really happy you enjoyed...😊😊

      Delete
  4. Outstandingly brilliant dear ygraine!!!!!!!!!!

    remarkably narrated ,touching .

    highly sensitive heart can observe nature with such delicacy and detail

    writing incidental poetry is so easy for you ,you are truly an all rounder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...your kind words truly mean so much to me, dearest Baili...and I really appreciate your support!😊😊

      Big hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Really amazing dear Ygraine, you always warm my heart ! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Gloria...oh thank you...from the depths of my heart!!😊😊

      Love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Nature is not always fair ...
    I thought your words were excellent.

    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jan...so very much!!😊😊

      Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry! That should have been "Nas"...my tablet has a will of it's own sometimes!!lol

      Delete
  8. You put such emotion and feeling into every poem! Wow!!
    I hope you are well! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, Sweetie...my sincerest, most heartfelt thanks!! That truly means so much.😊😊
      Yes, I am ok at present, thanks...and I hope you are too!

      Lots of love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Oh....this made me sad. I hate when things like this happen but nature has it's own way of doing things, their own rules....You captured the scene and the emotions beautifully my friend.

    Have a super weekend! Hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it made me really sad too...seemed so futile a death.🙁
      Thank you so much, Geraldine...
      and I hope you had a great weekend too!

      Big hugs xoxoxo

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)