Followers

Thursday 7 March 2019

CASTLES

You had an aversion to castles. Castles! 
Those magnificent structures that I so adore. The spiral staircases,
the gloomy dungeons, the moss-covered crumbling
stone walls - all bored you. History lessons at your school
must have omitted the study of castles and their architecture,
boiling oil tipping and screams of would-be be invaders.
You failed to appreciate their histories, so your Soul was devoid
of the fascination, and their aura of brooding stillness
made your eyes glaze over with total disenchantment.
I bought you a guide book once, and you accepted it
reluctantly. An obviously unwanted gift.
You skimmed briefly over it's print and diagrams,
while trying hard to appear interested, yet failing dismally -
your gaze with longing eyes toward the exit gate was a dead giveaway.
It was so obvious you would much rather be somewhere else!
But, for my sake, you joined me for the guided tour,
all the while enthusiastically informing me of the motoring event
you'd attended the previous weekend, where you'd purchased
your latest pride and joy, an Aston Martin Vanquish.
Oh how your face lit up then, as you stared off into the distance
and appeared to forget that I, or our present location
even existed. Castles were a dreary chore to you:
were the archetypes of antiquated pointlessness
that I was forever dragging you around, these blots
on the landscape that held no value whatsoever,
apart from within archeological circles.
To you they were trifles probably, subjects that fell way below
the intellectual level of your Mercurial mindset.
Castles were things you wanted to sidestep at all costs.
And they were growing ever more synonymous with me.
But I saw you mounted upon a white stallion, complete with shining armour,
beneath a full moon in the cobbled courtyard:
an over-romanticised figure riding towards me,
girlhood's dream wish fulfilment - although grossly out of character for you
who were most likely still musing over Aston Martins
and your ideal scenarios, so very adverse to mine.
Well, there could only be one conclusion, couldn't there...
me,
wandering endlessly around my beloved relics
without you.


19 comments:

  1. What an awesome read. I loved it. A knight with shining armour riding towards you. Oh, it's every girl's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...and I thought it was only me! Lol
    So happy you enjoyed, Mary...and thank you so much! :))

    Have a Fabulous Weekend xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed so much. Exactly how it is visiting a wonderful romantic exciting world with someone who doesn’t have a clue☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly, a fact of life (and incompatibility) I guess!😉
      So happy you enjoyed...and my heartfelt thanks!😊😊

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I love castles.. Are wonderful xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, dear Gloria...so much!😊😊

      Lots of love and hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  5. wow ...speechless ...except to say i could read your words every day. This has to be a daily stop for me. Great job and you are able to summon up visuals that appeared before my vision. That is the kind of magic you only find in castles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...that is SO kind, Sandy...and is really appreciated!
      Thank you so much!!😊😊

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  6. Magnificently done dearest Ygraine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    don;t have words to adore the enchantment of your powerful imagery :)

    you led me there ,made me wander in old high walls that filled my senses awe and wonder
    exquisitely written my dear friend!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Baili...oh thank you...with all my heart!
      You have honestly made my day!!
      And I am so happy you enjoyed...😊😊

      All my love and hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ygraine, this is so beautifully, and magnificently, heartbreaking.
    ❤️ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Dale...I so appreciate your kind comment!!! 😊😊

      Have a fabulous Sunday!

      Big Hugs ❤❤❤

      Delete
  9. I love Castles, and I loved reading your words here.
    Thank you.

    Hope your weekend was a good one, and the strong winds many parts of the UK experienced didn't cause damage.
    Have a good week ahead.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed, Jan...and my sincere thanks!😊😊
      Yes, we survived those winds...but now...Storm Gareth!
      Still, I hear we here in the south should miss the worst of it (hopefully!).

      Have a great day! xxx

      Delete
  10. I know I always say this, but you are such an amazing writer! You capture such feeling in everything you write! I can also see "it" all! "But I saw you mounted upon a white stallion, complete with shining armour,
    beneath a full moon in the cobbled courtyard:" Love!!!!!
    Sending you BIG HUGS!!! Always in my thoughts Ygraine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Sweetie...you are so kind...and thank you so, so much!!!😊😊
    You are always in my thoughts too...

    With all my love and hugs ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a medievalist, I love castles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome read. I loved it. A knight with shining armour riding towards you. Oh, it's every girl's dream.
    custom tailoring services , stitching unit , best online tailor , sewing factory , sewing of ladies suits , sewing expert , sewing factory near me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)