Followers

Friday 28 September 2018

A HEARTBEAT LOST

For Peter Benson...in memoriam

My heart sank when I heard
of your sudden passing. This was
something too final, too hopeless to bear -
the certainty I'd never, ever, see you again.
I was (and am) grieving even more
than your adoring public, a grief
unexpressed yet so profoundly felt.
Still, I can smile at the recollections, though,
of your wicked sense of humour
and such touching vanity - in which
year did you claim you were born??
But smiles are soon ousted by bitter tears.

There is only your alter ego to cling to now:
Bernie Scripps, frozen in time
within a treasured collection of videos
resting on a special shelf. And those post cards
you sent from Goathland and New York
have taken on new significance.
Their images and words are stuck in my skull
where they evoke so vividly
each separate memory of you in life.
But your future was obliterated by the thunderbolt:
our distant friendship, your stardom - all
are consigned now to memory's sombre tomb
and I, at this moment in time, am nowhere.

Oh how I wish I could become as stone,
unable to feel,
for this agony of loss
catches so in my throat... 

21 comments:

  1. The loss is so well expressed. Had me searching to learn more about him..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Anthony...yes, I guess he wasn't that well known outside UK.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea who he was so I googled him. I still do not know who he is but at least I had a face to go with your heart felt eulogy. Always sad when someone passes.

    Hugs My Friend ❤💮❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as I just replied to Anthony, he probably wasn't very well known outside the UK.
      Fans of the popular British TV series "Heartbeat" will be familiar with his character, Bernie Scripps, though. He was funny and rather eccentric!
      Yes, I will miss him always...:(
      Thank you so much, dearest Jan.

      Much Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. always loss is hard and difficult. I know.
    This poem is really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dearest Gloria...I truly appreciate your kind words...:))

      Big Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. This is a gorgeous tribute. And I suspect that many of us understand the last stanza only too well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, EC...your kind words truly mean so much.:))
      Yes, I think these kind of emotions must be universal...part of the human condition...sadly.

      Big Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Hugs to you dear Ygraine, a lovely tribute. I will go to Google him now.Take care and hold on to your good memories.💟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter was one of those rare guys who was a real gentleman...always polite and kind to everyone. Gosh, how he will be missed. He was one of a dying breed.
      You bet! I will cherish those memories!!
      Thank you so much, dearest Geraldine...

      Lots of Love & Hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. I always enjoyed seeing Peter as Bernie Scripps in Heartbeat.
    A wonderful tribute, I enjoyed reading your words … thank you.

    My good wishes to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan...and I'm so happy you enjoyed!

      Sending you hugs of appreciation! :))

      Delete
  7. A beautiful tribute my friend! I am so sorry for your loss! Sending you Big Warm Healing Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Sweetie...can't begin to tell you how much your kind words of support mean to me!! :))

      Sending you Big Hugs and Lots of Love back! xoxoxo

      Delete
    2. Aww...oh thank you, Sweetie!!

      Lots & Lots of Love Back xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. A really touching poem dear Ygraine!

    i think i have seen his some work on t.v

    he was very natural at his skills!
    may he rest in peace !
    more blessings to you my wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Baili...oh thank you so much!

      I am thinking of you too, in your own loss...and am sending you healing Love & Hugs.
      May we be united in our sadness!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Oh you are so kind, Regine...my heartfelt thanks! :)

      Delete
  10. "Their images and words are stuck in my skull"....so deep in meaning.

    # Have a great October

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Tanza...so much!
      I can't tell you how much that means to me...

      Wishing you a Fabulous month too! :))

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)