Followers

Friday 19 July 2019

CLOUDS HILL



Whenever he was away
Lawrence pined for Clouds Hill more than any other place on earth.
He'd wanted a snapshot, taken in summer
when the rhododendrons were in bloom.
And he'd longed to share it's tranquility with Auda Abu Tay,
his closest friend, who had introduced him
to a myriad of Middle Eastern culinary delights, as they'd sat together
watching the sun set over the desert's vastness.
He had taught Auda warcraft - and taught him well.
It was so good to be with him, there at the oasis.
But he still couldn't help wishing to be back home...

And, now, here they finally were.
Arriving in the dark small hours, both in Arabic dress,
with Lawrence carrying a jar of sand as a momento,
and goats cheese, and his camel's harness in a hessian bag.
And it is like being in Paradise: introducing Auda
to his hidden retreat from the world, to his few close friends -
laying on an informal party in Auda's honour, relaxing again,
and lying in until well past noon...

But the old restlessness possesses him once again.
So he does what he has always done
when he needs to process his thoughts -
takes his beloved Brough Superior for a spin
along the twisting Dorset lanes: pushing,
pushing her to her ultimate limits - topping
eighty, ninety, one hundred...

There is no advance warning.
No horrified shouts in Arabic or English,
just two errand boys on bicycles.
No time to think, only
a screeching of tyres as the Brough upends,
followed by a pink explosion of rhododendrons.
And the hands of time stand still.





23 comments:

  1. Oh...how sad and tragic life can be when in one foolish moment we lose control.
    Beautifully written, my dear friend...love that photo, too~

    Much Love My Dear and Sweet Friend with Big Hugs
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, dearest Jan...so much!
      I do hope things are good with you, and that you are having a magical weekend.😊😊

      Fondest love and hugs ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  2. And the hands of time stand still...... good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Haddock...and many thanks for your visit! It is truly appreciated!😊😊

      Delete
  3. Wonderful poem. So enjoyed the interpretation and insight such a place inspires. Appreciate especially having such a place to escape to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Anthony!😊😊
      Yes, I have visited this wonderfully atmospheric little cottage many times...and still feel drawn back there...

      Delete
  4. That split second when the hands were stilled diminished the world for so many.
    Yet again an evocative, beautiful and thought provoking piece.
    Many thanks - and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine how many people were shocked by the loss of so great a literary personality.
      I have walked from his cottage to the spot where the accident happened. There is a memorial stone there, just beside the road. I did take a photo of it, but unfortunately, the words failed to show up.
      Thank you so much, Sue...and I am really happy you enjoyed!😊😊

      Sending you much love and hugs ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  5. That was powerful. Oh my. Left me breathless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, my heartfelt thanks, Mary...your kind words of encouragement mean so much!😊😊

      Big Hugs xxx

      Delete
  6. Captivating and powerfully engaging poem dearest Ygraine

    once again you cast spell with your exquisite expressions and made me wander with two friends

    Ah during such soul filling adventures time seems to still and overwhelming indeed :)

    by clicking on link i knew that this beautiful cottage is devoted to writers work which sound great because creative minds always need such serenity to focus and create :)

    i am fine dear friend and with all my heart keeping you in my prayers
    hope you too feeling great and enjoying you r glorious summers :)

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Baili, oh how your kind words uplift me. Truly!😊😊
      I really wish you could visit this cottage and take in the powerful sense of Lawrence's presence. It is awesome!

      My dear Friend, I pray for you too... and ask that you are well and free from pain and worry.

      Sending my fondest love and hugs ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  7. I felt like I was reading Lawrence of Arabia -

    so beautiful written - your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW, you are so kind, Sandy...and thank you so, so much!😊😊

      Big Hugs xxx

      Delete
  8. You have a wonderful blog! The topics you write about are very close to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    I follow you through GFC! If you want, go to my blog :)

    MY NEW POST ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nastya...and thank you so much for your visit, and your kind comment!😊😊
      I have visited your fabulous blog and have left a comment. I so enjoyed!😊😊

      Hugs ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

      Delete
  9. Beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank you, Rue!😊😊
    So good to hear from you again...you have been missed...

    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another wonderful poem.
    I also appreciated the link to Clouds Hill.

    Hope your week is going well, it seems to be getting hotter and hotter!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan... I'm really happy you enjoyed!😊😊
      Yes, seems like we may well break that temperature record, doesn't it?!
      I didn't enjoy Tuesday night's electrical storm though...we are currently in our caravan, in the middle of a field in Dorset!
      It was absolutely terrifying! Lol

      Have a great day!

      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  12. As always very powerful and full of meanings!☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Natalia...I really appreciate that!😊😊

      Delete
  13. Your poetry is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)