Followers

Friday 13 April 2018

PULSE



Soft brown sofa - genuine leather -
not for the faint hearted
(animal rights and the contemplation of barbarity,
the rights of all life).
And they creamed, polished and preened it
and draped themselves all over it
while watching TV and consuming popcorn,
and caressed it's neatly buttoned folds.

One Wednesday, a coffee morning.
Upholding it's burden of large ladies,
long-suffering sofa, a big obedient servant.
Then sudden spill,
a splattering of hot coffee over delicate membrane.
Instant panic: damp cloth and deodorizing cleanser,
scrubbing away all traces of beverage, cream and odour.

There was an ashtray too, on a side table,
of solid silver. It was always full -
not that the residents smoked, it was solely for guests.
One day, a guest was a little too animated
in his conversation.
He missed the ashtray, left a burn mark.
Permanent disfigurement.

But they said nothing. He was, after all,
a close family friend, a life-long one
that they could never risk offending: supportive
in all emergencies, funny - the archetypal clown
who lifted spirits: Life is to be enjoyed, not taken seriously!
He was always the centre of attention,
life and soul of every party. He said Never cry
over spilled coffee and What is a tiny burn mark between friends?
And the room erupted with laughter.

Does this sofa have a soul? A new friend asked.
Feel it. Here in the crease of the arm
there's a curious warmth.
Go on, feel it! It feels like your own skin.

There's been suffering here, you know.
And there is immunity. 
Override the latter.
Push your hand further down
until it's quite swallowed up. Reach past
the layers of stitching and stapling,
folding and gluing, with your sensitive fingertips.
FEEL IT!
The warm, pulsing dermis of the cow.

23 comments:

  1. There has indeed been suffering. And it will continue, along with the beauty and the resilience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sofa's can tell so many stories ...
    I enjoyed reading from start to finish.

    May the rest of your Friday be good and have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed, Jan...and thank you so much!

      Wishing you a great week.☺☺

      Delete
  3. oh wow, ....made my heart jump a little - to think... oh...makes one think of all the things in our life that have come and gone and we have taken for granted... such life uselessly used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandy...your compassion is truly appreciated.
      Thank you so much...☺☺

      Delete
  4. I think sofa heard many stories dear.And my daugther or my son sleep in our sofa.
    this you write is true and lovely !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Gloria...every sofa could tell so many stories...if only we can hear!
      Thank you so much...I really appreciate your kind words!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed. What can be seen has it’s stories. I wonder more of what can be imagined.. So pretty racy stuff☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *smiles*...think maybe my imagination runs away with me sometimes!
      At least...I sincerely hope it is just imagination!๐Ÿ˜‰
      Many thanks! ☺☺

      Delete
  6. Amazingly written Ygraine. The stories. The laughter, the tears. A lifetime of memories in that sofa!!! Makes one think! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sweetie...thank you...so much!
      So happy you enjoyed!!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

      Hoping your spring temperatures are on the way...

      Much love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. What an intriguing poem Ygraine. If only those walls, that sofa....could talk. You have such an original take on any topic you write about. Well done my friend.๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so appreciate that, dearest Geraldine...thank you so much!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

      And I hope your online problems are sorted real soon!

      Big hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. Ah ...dear Ygraine! you are remarkable my friend!

    such a wonderful way of portraying your relation to your adorable sofa!!!

    when in the evening in drop myself on my sweet humble friend (sofe) 's lap i never want to get up again ,it hold my tired body and give comfy my soul!

    yes such long lasting friends bear so much while living among the residence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Baili...my heartfelt thanks for your kind words of encouragement!
      They truly mean so much to me...๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

      I do so hope you are feeling better today...am sending you healing thoughts...

      And much love and hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Amazing words. Well-written. You have such a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. __ Always you pose such heartful thoughts "L". A pulse will remain in memory. _m

    The gone dog's whiskers; ribboned in this tiny glass; a friend's memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...how I've missed your brilliant haiku, Doug!
      So good to have you back...and thank you so much...:))

      Delete
  11. My Dear Ygraine, you are amazing!
    I want to own this beautiful couch and yet protect it at the same time!
    Your thoughts and the words that you find to express them will always capture my attention, you talented writer, you ❤๐Ÿ’ฎ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jan...oh thank you...with all my heart! :))

      What has happened to your beautiful blog?
      I can't seem to find it...and I'm missing it so much!:(

      Please do take care of yourself.

      Sending you all my love & hugs xoxoxo

      Delete
  12. The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
    เธ”ูเธซเธ™ัเธ‡เธญเธญเธ™เน„เธฅเธ™์

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my posts.
I really appreciate hearing your opinions...:)